CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Crosspost - These Are A Start

This is a cross post from my other blog, The Forgotten Muse. I thought I'd share it here as well.

So I've been trying to think of ways to maybe earn some money. Michael's had a great sale a couple weeks ago on the Sugar & Cream brand yarn, so I invested in some (like maybe 20 skeins of it? lol) Then I found a fairly simple pattern to make some cute little bags that I could do while I got used to the rhythm of crocheting again. My last big project was some "Harry Potter" themed scarves back in like 2005!

I plan to make more. I've gotten used to the pattern, and found a new way to start it thanks to a wonderful Youtube video on "how to do a magic circle" (how fitting, don't you think?)

My first 3 or so were done as per the pattern, they are prototypes as I was learning the pattern. The lighter colored ones which ended up in line with the pattern's size description were done using the magic circle to start it technique.

My plan is to start selling them on Etsy at some point. I just don't know what or how to do that. I don't have a 'store' name, or know how to price such things, or even if they are good enough to sell. But here's a sneak peak at what they look like. I hope to include some shawls, and perhaps if I can master the pattern some larger bags.

Here's hoping to a start of something good.

7 comments:

mxtodis123 said...

Those are really beautiful. Great idea. How long does it take to make one?
Mary

Morgaine Pendragon said...

Since I baby my wrist due to carpal tunnel that likes to flare up on occasion, I take a break every say 3 or 4 rows, so maybe about 2 hours for me. If I just go non-stop, I'd say an hour.

Thank your for the compliment.

Anonymous said...

Go for it! :)
I've just signed up with etsy and I'm going to try to sell some of my carvings. I've got a few little pendants ready to go and 1 wand that I've carved and I'm working on a little carvinf of Hekate's wheel. It's a bit daunting isn't it, to start thinking about trying to sell our work.
Signing up with etsy was really easy, but you do need to provide some credit card details. I don't have a credit card and so used my other halfs and that went through just fine even though it was a different name and all that jazz.
How about 'Ellie's 20 skeins worth' for a store name? ;)
Good lick and let us know how you get on! Action of any kind is always good - momentum is what you need, who knows what else will spark because of it!
Nellie x

Kathy said...

I am pondering opening up an Etsy shop but it's still just an idea. Go for it! Those bags are great and will probably sell well.

Morgaine Pendragon said...

Thank you ladies. I'm seriously considering the shop. Naming it is the hard part, that and coming up with prices!

Monica said...

oh these are great. so many uses. go for the etsy selling. you don't know if you don't try.

The Traveler said...

Those are really cool. Seeing those makes your compliments on my work even more meaningful. Thank you for stopping by my little corner of blogland and entering my giveaway =).