CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Monday, May 17, 2010

I'm Still Here...

Greetings my blog friends. I'm still here, still struggling along. Not much has changed since my last post. I am taking a couple classes in herbalism. Fear set in, that I couldn't do it, and so I've been slacking. I hate to fail, and I hate being around people that like to use my failures against me and rub them in my face until I'm raw.

I'm still trying to write, I'm struggling with it. I look at the page and it takes all the energy I have to write just a few lines. And they aren't even good lines. I see the character(s), I have a vague idea of what I want to do with them, I just can't seem to make it happen. When I try to write, I feel like I'm writing a "Dick and Jane" version. Another thing is I feel like I have nothing original and new. And I don't know how to 'recycle' ideas that may have already been done to make them my own.

For example, I have a character named Declan. I see him as this Irish/Scottish guy, possible the head of the clan. But I love the "Highlander"...you know the one, Duncan McCloud (hunky hot sexy Andrian Paul...YUMMO!) Er...um...uh....so anyway....*blush* My Declan doesn't look like Duncan or anything, nor does he act like him per se, but I kinda would like him to be an immortal like Duncan. But not in the whole "there can be only one" sense.

I'm always so afraid of the whole you can't use that because it's been done before blah blah blah. Like another thing...I like the idea of the palantir or a Pensieve. But 1) I don't know if I can use the word and 2) I don't know if I'm allowed to use the concept. UGH! Should I just write my story with the concepts I want to use and alter them later if need be? I just don't know...

1 comments:

Sarah Head said...

I've never considered not being able to use a concept for my character because "you're not allowed to". It really doesn't matter. You see what your character is (they usually tell you) and if it's the same as someone else's concept, that's fine and if it's different..that's fine too. If you are writing fantasy, the world is your oyster and you can create whatever you choose. When I'm writing about vampires, I didn't read anyone else's vampire books, I just made up my own vampire ethics and practices and brought them alive as I wished them to be. There are no shoulds apart from spelling, grammar and hooking your reader. Immerse yourself in your story and let it flow onto the paper. Then go back and edit it and tidy up. Don't let anyone tell you what you can or can't write about. PS There is no unique story. Everyone borrows from others.